instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Praedicare

Fr. Philip Powell, OP, who was ordained a priest of the Dominican Province of St. Martin de Porres this past May, has begun to blog his homilies at Domine, da mihi hanc aquam!. (That's Latin for, uh, "Lord, I got me a hankering for water." Must be a Southern thing.)

His homilies, as you can see, tend to start with a bang:
  • "First, what belongs to Caesar? Nothing. Second, what belongs to God? Everything else."
  • "I want to conduct an experiment tonight. Let's see how obedient you are! I command you to stand. I command you to clap your hands. I command you to say hello to the people around you. I command you to sit."
  • "Wow. I know of no other way of expressing my amazement at tonight's readings. Wow!" (The homily I heard that day, Priesthood Sunday, began with the priest imagining himself as the Cowardly Lion jumping through a window.)
  • "I believe that most of us are idolators."
I wonder how these have been received. I particularly wonder how many people stood and clapped their hands.

| 0 comments |


Home