instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Just for fun

From Happy Catholic, a list of books recommended by Fr. Raymond A. Schroth, S.J., in his own book, Dante to Dead Man Walking: One Reader's Journey Through the Christian Classics. Underlined books I've read; italicized I intent to read; struck-through I intend not to; and otherwise, otherwise.
  1. The Book of Genesis
  2. The Book of Job
  3. The David Story: A Translation with Commentary of 1 and 2 Samuel by Robert Alter
  4. The Gospel According to St. Luke
  5. The Gospel According to St. John
  6. The Confessions of St. Augustine: Some day! Maybe.
  7. The Inferno by Dante Alighieri: I should reread this and finish the whole Comedy. Some day!
  8. Butler's Lives of the Saints by Michael Walsh: Not really a cover-to-cover kind of read, is it?
  9. The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
  10. The Idea of a University by Ven. John Henry Newman: the sort of thing it's good to have read, if not all that gripping to read
  11. Walden by Henry David Thoreau: I checked this book out of the library when I was working one summer during college. My officemate said, "Why would you want to read that?" I've never been able to answer that question.
  12. The Second Inaugural Address by Abraham Lincoln
  13. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  14. The Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux: After I read St. Teresa.
  15. Mont-Saint-Michel and Chartres by Henry Adams
  16. Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
  17. Dubliners by James Joyce: Everybody likes "The Dead." I remember "Araby" more, and I've seen the movie version of "The Dead."
  18. Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset: Great stuff! Come on, Granada, and serialize it. I'm partway through The Master of Hestviken, which Undset (a Dominican tertiary, though not until after she wrote Kristin Lavransdatter) considered her best work.
  19. Therese by Francois Mauriac
  20. Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather: I probably own this, in one of those pretentious editions made to be seen but not read.
  21. Mr. Blue by Myles Connolly
  22. Out of My Life and Thought: An Autobiography by Albert Schweitzer: Life's too short to read everything, and I read a children's biography of him in seventh grade.
  23. The Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos: What did I call this? Something like, "Proust for busy Catholics." That's not meant as a compliment.
  24. The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
  25. Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: A Journey through Yugoslavia by Rebecca West
  26. Brideshead Revisisted by Evelyn Waugh: I read this some years after seeing the TV series with Jeremy Irons. I kept waiting for it to be different. It never did.
  27. Cry, the Beloved Country by Alex Paton
  28. The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton: I've warmly recommended this several times, but the negative comments at Happy Catholic make me wonder whether it's been too long since I've read it.
  29. Letters and Papers from Prison by Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Maybe, but I'm not going to go looking for it.
  30. The Long Loneliness by Dorothy Day
  31. The Family of Man by Edward Steichen
  32. Divine Milieu by Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J.: I started this, having picked up a used copy for a buck. I won't ever recoup my losses.
  33. A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.: Excellent, particularly the first part.
  34. Morte D'Urban by J. F. Powers: I've got a copy of a collection of his stories, which I also haven't read yet.
  35. The Other America by Michael Harrington
  36. The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis
  37. The Historic Reality of Christian Culture: A Way to the Renewal of Human Life by Christopher Dawson: I'm open to reading Dawson. Just haven't yet.
  38. The Edge of Sadness by Edwin O'Connor
  39. Letter from Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr.
  40. Everything That Rises Must Converge, "Revelation" by Flannery O'Connor
  41. The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley
  42. Silence by Shusaku Endo: Own it. Started it. Misplaced it.
  43. A Theology of Liberation: History, Politics, and Salvation by Gustavo Gutierrez: I just can't think of a reason I'd need or want to read this.
  44. The Fate of the Earth by Jonathan Schell
  45. The Love of Jesus and the Love of Neighbor by Karl Rahner, S.J.
  46. In Memory of Her: A Feminist Theological Reconstruction of Christian Origins by Elisabeth Schussler Fiorenza: Oh, hell no.
  47. Black Robe by Brian Moore: Saw the movie. My parents saw the movie, too, on my recommendation, though I think all I said was it was very nicely filmed. (Not a good date movie.)
  48. Dead Man Walking: An Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty in the United States by Helen Prejean: I don't think I'll ever need to read this, and I can't imagine reading it if I didn't need to.
  49. The Life of Thomas More by Peter Ackroyd: Excellent treatment of a notoriously difficult figure to peg. Whether Ackroyd pegged him correctly, I guess we'll find out some day.
  50. All Saints: Daily Reflections on Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses for Our Time by Robert Ellsberg

| 0 comments |


Home