instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Thursday, January 18, 2007

More on memorizing Scripture

Coincidentally, I heard this one the other day.

Seems there was a fellow who ran a country store down in Mississippi, and he never rang up a customer but he quoted some appropriate verse from the Holy Book. The boys at the back of the store playing dominoes were always interested in what verse he'd choose.

One day, a little girl came in to buy a nickel's worth of candy. As she left, the owner said, "'Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me.'"

Then a man came in looking for a birthday present for his father. After he selected something and paid for it, the store owner said, "'Honor thy father and thy mother.'"

The a big pick-up, hauling a bigger horse trailer, pulled up outside. The driver came into the store and said, "I'm headed to a horse show, and I just realized I forgot to bring a horse blanket. Do you have any?"

The owner went into the back room and brought out a black horse blanket. "This is five dollars."

The other man bristled. "I am not about to put a five dollar blanket on my show horse. Don't you have anything better?"

The owner looked again, but all he had was the same blanket in different colors. "I got a red one for ten dollars," he called to the front of the store.

"If that's the best you've got, I'll take my chances on finding another store before I get to the show."

"How about this green blanket for fifty dollars?"

"Sold!"

So the store owner sold the man a five dollar horse blanket for fifty dollars, and it's hard to say who was happier about the transaction. As the pick-up pulled away, the boys playing dominoes sat in silence, waiting to see what Scripture quote was coming.

"'I was a stranger,'" the store owner said after a long pause, "'and ye took me in.'"

| 0 comments |


Home