instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Inclina, Domine

The opening verses of Psalm 86 is translated by the Douay Rheims Bible (where it's Psalm 85) this way:
Incline thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor.
Preserve my soul, for I am holy:
save thy servant, O my God, that trusteth in thee.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I have cried to thee all the day.
Give joy to the soul of thy servant, for to thee, O Lord, I have lifted up my soul.
All those "fors" (translating three quias and one quoniam), all that delightful argument:

Because I amGod should
needy and poorincline His ear and hear me
holy [i.e., consecrated to God]preserve my soul
crying to God all the dayhave mercy on me
lifting up my soul to Himgive joy to my soul


Now, we get rid of that first column and wind up with something altogether appealing:

God should
incline His ear and hear me
preserve my soul
have mercy on me
give joy to my soul


But suppose

God doesn't
incline His ear and hear me
preserve my soul
have mercy on me
give joy to my soul


Doesn't that mean that

I am not
needy and poor
holy [i.e., consecrated to God]
crying to God all the day
lifting up my soul to Him


From which we conclude that

I should be
needy and poor
holy [i.e., consecrated to God]
crying to God all the day
lifting up my soul to Him

| 0 comments |


Home