instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Friday, October 26, 2007

Gospel inversion

Hwæt, I found myself driving behind a car with two bumper stickers. The one on the left said

I AM MORE
THAN A
CONQUEROR

The one on the right said

FORGIVEN

And before I could stop myself, I thought up the bumper sticker that I would put between the two, if bumpers were comboxes:

I AM MORE
THAN A
LITTLE FULL OF MYSELF

While it may well be true that the owner of that car actually is both more than a conqueror and forgiven, and while this may be a cause of genuine joy for the owner, it seems to me the underlying message of the bumper stickers is, "Ain't I fine!"

The Great Commission is to make disciples of all nations. You can teach them to observe all that Jesus has commanded you by word and by example.

If the example by which you teach is one of self-satisfaction, then you'll make self-satisfied disciples (and probably even more enemies). If the words in which you express the Gospel are turned in on yourself, then you aren't expressing the Gospel.

| 0 comments |


Home