instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Friday, July 19, 2013

A blogger's lament

I often think about what I call the hardy-har-har sayings of Jesus, the teachings that are generally treated as though He must has been joking when He said them.

In re-reading the Sermon on the Mount, I realized that this well-known saying belongs on that list:
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’ while the wooden beam is in your eye? You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.
What would happen to the Catholic blogosphere if Catholic bloggers believed this saying applied to them?

See what I did? I just wrote a blog post telling others to clean up their act, based on a saying of Jesus that we shouldn't tell others to clean up their act! Unless, of course, we've already cleaned up our own act, and just between you and me, I don't recall cleaning up my own act as such.

| 4 comments |


Home