instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Monday, March 24, 2014

Hope confoundeth not

Before Mass on Sunday, I was noodling the age-old conundrum of hope -- viz, that it's all well and good to hope in God, but my salvation also depends on my own choices, and both Scripture and experience teach me the foolishness of hoping in me.

Then it occurred to me that yes, exactly! I'm not supposed to face the part of my salvation I'm responsible for with hope. I shouldn't spend another minute wondering how I could ever hope that I will cooperate with God's salvific will.

Instead, I should face the part of my salvation I'm responsible for with love. That's the thing I have control over, here and now. There's no point in worrying about what choices I might make tomorrow when I am making choices today. If I choose in love today, tomorrow's choices will take care of themselves.

| 0 comments |


Home