instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Saturday, June 27, 2015

I have l'esprit de l'escalier[1]...

... when everyone else is taking the elevator.

I came up with "Laudato Si', Magistra No" [2] to describe the attitude among politically conservative Catholics in the United States to reject -- often sight unseen -- Pope Francis's latest encyclical. Then I noticed Michael Sean Winters used it days earlier.

Then I came up with this to describe the attitude among ultramontantist Catholics who seem to think Pope Francis's latest encyclical makes global warming a matter of settled Catholic doctrine:
"I suppose it would be sort of warming spiritually, only we were too sinful to see it."
Oh well..




1.L'esprit de l'escalier: See, because I'm slower than others with the witticisms.
2. A reference to the infamous "Mater si, Magistra no" response among politically conservative Catholics in the United States to Mater et Magistra

| 0 comments |


Home