instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Overdrawn at the schadenfreude bank

James 4:3 explains the source of much disappointment in a Christian's life:
You ask but do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions.
Here we might barter for a little both/and from God. "If you can't, O Lord, grind to dust the one who is obnoxious to me -- and, let's face it, we both know he's no righteous one --  could You at least knock him down a peg or two? Sure, I'll find it delectable in a way maybe I shouldn't, but You'll be working some real justice too."

If there were more evidence that the wisdom I bring to bear on my own life is pure, peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without inconstancy or insincerity, I might be more confident in advising God on His providential care of others. As it is, I try to keep my corrective intercessions as general as possible, yet still frequently have to amend them to the old standby, "God bless [X] and have mercy on me."

| 0 comments |


Home