instruere...inlustrare...delectare Disputations

Saturday, September 26, 2015

The moral of the story: Never read a book

I'm reading Robert Hugh Benson's Lord of the World, per Pope Francis's recommendation. (He's also recommended The Betrothed, which is a good read too.) Last night, just before I went to bed, I read the passage where Fr. Franklin meets the Pope (to say the least, that's a very different experience than people are having in the U.S. this week).

I wound up spending a good part of the night dreaming about Cardinal Fromme, a man so devoted to the Pope that he changed his name (from something like Eikenhardt, I think) when he thought the Pope asked him, "Are you Fromme?" and he felt obligated to answer, "Yes, your Holiness." The punchline was that the Pope had actually asked, "Where are you from?"

I woke up shortly after I realized that would have only worked if they were speaking English to each other.

| 0 comments |


Home